- Very high number of viable bacteria per serving. With 450 billion bacteria per serving, this probiotic supplement offers way more bacteria than most other products on the market.
- The products do NOT contain inulin, FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides) or other prebiotics. This makes them suitable for all types of people, including those with bowel complaints such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and
- Excellent value for money. The cost of a 10 billion bacteria unit of VSL3 is much less than many of the less potent probiotics on the market.
- Choice of powder or capsules. Powder is a good starter form for introducing probiotic supplements into your system for those with serious digestive disease. It allows the user to measure out small doses, allowing them to begin by consuming tiny amounts of probiotics only. Capsules on the other hand are a convenient and easy way to take probiotics, especially when you are out and about.
- VSL3 probiotic products can be stored for up to a week at room temperature without losing potency, meaning they are suitable to take on short breaks away where access to refrigeration may be difficult (camping, hostels, hotels).
- Contains a good mix of bacterial strains including those from both the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria genera (clans). All of the bacterial strains in these products have a safe history of use as food ingredients.
- VSL3 is one of very few probiotic supplements that are supported by double-blind placebo controlled scientific studies. Some of these studies have shown that this product provides bacteria that help the gastrointestinal tract and that it can help in the dietary management of ulcerative colitis,1,2,3 Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)4,5 and pouchitis6,7,8.
As far as the disadvantages of these products are concerned, the key issue is that all VSL3 probiotics contain traces of soy, dairy and gluten and therefore they may not be suitable for people with celiac disease or severe allergies to these foodstuffs.
We believe VSL3 probiotic supplements to be good products that offer excellent value for money – see our
cost comparison page
for information on selecting the best value probotics. They meet the good quality criteria set out in our
and contain a good mixture of beneficial bacteria in very high quantities. VSL3 can be purchased in both powder and capsule form, making the products suitable for all kinds of people. Additionally their high potency makes them particularly suitable for those suffering from digestive disease.
Click the links below to buy VSL3:
1.Tursi A et al; Low-Dose Balsalazide Plus a High-Potency Probiotic Preparation is More Effective than Balsalazide Alone or Mesalazine in the Treatment of Acute Mild-to-Moderate Ulcerative Colitis; Med Sci; 2004 Nov;10(11):PI126-31.
2.Bibiloni R et al; VSL#3 Probiotic-Mixture Induces Remission in Patients with Active Ulcerative Colitis; Am J Gastroenterol; 2005 Jul;100(7):1539-46
3.Venturi, A. et al; VSL#3® - The Probiotic Medical Food for the Dietary Management of Patients with Ulcerative Colitis; Aliment Pharmacol Ther; 1999 (67); 13(8):1103-1108
4. Brigidi P. et al; Effects of Probiotic Administration upon the Composition and Enzymatic Activity of Human Fecal Microbiota in Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Functional Diarrhea; Research in Microbiology; 2001; Volume 152, Issue 8, Pages 735-741
5. Kim H.J et al; A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Probiotic, VSL#3, on Gut Transit and Symptoms in Diarrhoea-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome; Aliment Pharmacol Ther; 2003; 17:895-904
6.Mimura T et al; VSL#3® in the Dietary Management of an Ileal Pouch; Gut; 2004; 7; 53:108-114
7. Gionchetti P et al: ;Prophylaxis of Pouchitis Onset with Probiotic Therapy: a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial; Gastroenterology; 2003;124:1202-1209
8.Gionchetti P. et al; Oral Bacteriotherapy as Maintaining Treatment in Patients with Chronic Pouchitis: a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial; Gastroenterology; 2000; 119:305-309
Return from VSL3 to Probiotic Supplements