Culturelle probiotic supplements contain the friendly bacterium Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, or Lactobacillus GG (also abbreviated simply to LGG) as it is also known.
Like many other probiotic products, the friendly bacteria contained in Culturelle
are freeze-dried. Freeze-drying extends the life of the probiotic bacteria so that, provided they are stored correctly, they are live when you take them. Additionally, Culturelle products are specially wrapped to protect them from air, moisture, heat and light. This packaging further aims to preserve the probiotic bacteria contained in the product, further ensuring your product is potent at the time of use.
Culturelle probiotic supplements are available in capsule form for adults and as a powder for children. Adult capsules contain 10 billion colony-forming units (CFUs) of live bacteria, whilst the children’s powder contains 1 billion CFUs per serving.
Culturelle probiotic products contain
as standard, though an inulin-free product, Culturelle Natural Health and Wellness, is now also available for adults. There is no inulin-free version for children.
All products are gluten-free. The following products are also dairy-free:
- Culturelle Digestive Health
- Culturelle Dairy Free Natural Health and Wellness
- Culturelle for Kids
Culturelle Dairy Free Natural Health and Wellness uses vegetable-based capsules only and so may be more suitable to those following vegetarian and vegan diets.
Have a look at the table below to see the exact ingredients for each of the Culturelle products.
|Natural Health and Wellness
||Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, microcrystalline cellulose, gelatin capsule, milk proteins
||Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, inulin, gelatin capsule
|Dairy Free Natural Health and Wellness
||Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, inulin, vegetable based capsule
|Culturelle for Kids
||Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, inulin, mannitol, silicon dioxide
All Culturelle products contain the bacterium Lactobacillus GG.
This bacterium is one of the most clinically studied probiotics. It has been shown to:
- Be capable of surviving both stomach acid and bile – this is important as it means that this probiotic is still live and active when reaches your large intestine, where it does its work.
- Adhere to the colon wall where it multiplies and forms a strong barrier keeping unhelpful bacteria at bay.
With regard to specific health conditions, results of scientific studies indicate that this probiotic strain may:
- Reduce the risk of new born babies thought to be prone to developing the eczema. In this case the probiotic supplements were administered to the mothers both pre- and post-natally.
- Help reduce respiratory infections and their severity in two studies on children.
- Be beneficial in children with acute diarrhea.
- Assist with chemotherapy-related diarrhea in adults.
- Assist in reducing the severity and length of antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
Additionally, L. rhamnosus GG was shown in one study successfully to treat an antibiotic resistant infection, vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE) in renal patients.
Finally, a preliminary study found that Lactobacillus rhamonsus GG appeared to improve the clinical status of children with
As well as these scientific benefits, Culturelle probiotic supplements have a few functional advantages:
- You can open Culturelle capsules and mix the contents into a cool drink or beverage. This is handy if you don’t like taking capsules or have trouble swallowing them.
- All Culturelle products can be stored at room temperature making them suitable to take with you on short trips away where you perhaps will not have access to a refrigerator. These probiotics remain most potent though when stored under refrigeration so to get the most out of your supplements remember to place them back in your refrigerator once you return home.
Disadvantages of Culturelle Probiotic Supplements
The main disadvantage of Culturelle products is that the supplements contain only one type of
Therefore, it may be sensible to take this probiotic along with other supplements containing other probiotic species and strains in order to increase the likelihood of at least one of the bacteria being effective.
Compared to the
high-potency probiotic supplements
on the market, Culturelle is also quite expensive.
We believe that Culturelle probiotic supplements are good products. Unlike most probiotics in the US, these products come with a patented strain of probiotic, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG.
As the most researched probiotic strain, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG has a large amount of evidence supporting its benefits in the treatment of illness.
Another plus factor is that Culturelle products are available with or without inulin so you can decide for yourself whether or not you wish to have a
in your supplement.
Culturelle products can also be used in capsule or powder form and are free from artificial colors and flavorings. Only one product in the range, Culturelle Natural Health and Wellness supplement, contains a filler, microcrystalline cellulose.
Its potency is adequate and makes it a good probiotic for maintaining health or for preventative measures. If you are already suffering from ill-health though, particularly if your condition is chronic, we believe that rather than using a Culturelle probiotic, with its 10 billion CFUs per adult serving, as your sole probiotic, Culturelle is best combined with other probiotic supplements that contain different strains and species. This way you can be sure to get a mixture of good bacteria so that hopefully you may obtain maximum benefit from your probiotic therapy.
Cost-wise, however, Culturelle products appear expensive when the cost per CFU is compared to that of high potency probiotics.
to use our cost comparison tool to compare the prices of different probiotic supplements.
Where Can I Buy Culturelle?
You can buy Culturelle from our Internet store, provided in partnership with Amazon.com.
to browse our store.
Return from Culturelle Probiotic Supplements to Probiotic Supplements